Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Beyond The Sandwich

My kids get tired of sandwiches day after day and I really can't blame them.  It's too hot for something in the thermos so I thought I'd try some kabobs. Food is always better on a stick, eh?  There really is no theme for this box but I thought it turned out colorful and fun nonetheless!

Ham and pineapple kabobs, Vanilla yogurt with strawberries, cucumber flowers and orange bell pepper strips with hummus for dipping, and a sesame stick for a treat. The containers with the hummus and the yogurt both have lids and they fit snug in the box.


Now it's time to start thinking outside the sandwich box. My kids don't really like mixed up things like casseroles so I think it will be a challenge but stay tuned to see what I can come up with!

Make sure you pay a visit over to Shannon over at "What's For Lunch At Our House" aka http://www.bentolunch.net/  for great ideas and be sure to check out her Wednesday posts ever week!

Happy Wednesday everybody! Eat well and be happy :)

4 comments:

  1. Love this! How do you cut your cucumber flowers? Do you slice them and then 'cookie cutter' them? My daughter would love those! :-) and I laugh, b/c I'm one of those sandwich people .. I personally am a super boring lunch eater, even today, had my PBJ sandwich. :-)

    Sandra :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandra, I have little veggie cutters. If I want them to be uniform I could slice them and then do them individually OR, if I'm in a hurry or feeling lazy, I just use the cutter down a big chunk of the cucumber (a couple of inches) and then slice it. If you do it this way, though, you run the risk of not having nicely formed flowers at the end of the row.

    ReplyDelete