Tuesday, August 21, 2012

That Kind Of Day

It's been a morning, oh yes it has! Sadly, I did not take a picture of the boys' lunches today. They were beautiful, too! I suppose ya'll will forgive me and I'll share with you a simple breakfast that I made for the kids that was a big hit.

In the past I've made egg muffins and just baked them in the oven. They were fine and the kids ate them but I was never very happy with how flat and deflated they became as they cooled. Yesterday I had a thing of biscuit dough that needed to be used up so I decided to experiment with that. I popped that badboy (you remember my feelings about these things, right?) and separated the biscuits. I spread it out a little and lined a muffin tin that had been sprayed with oil. The dough covered the bottom and came up a little on the sides. I mixed up 6 eggs and added some shredded cheese, salt and pepper. Once mixed, I poured it into the cups over the dough. I used a measuring cup to scoop and pour it, it was easier and I had more control.

Bake at 350* for about 10 minutes and they will puff up nice! I just ran the knife around the edges and they popped right out and left hardly any mess. These were MUCH cleaner than making the plain egg ones. Next time I'll try getting some veggies in there or some ham would be good. For now, I'm just happy that the kids liked them and I got a decent amount of balanced protein and carb in them before school. Oh, and these still look great the next day so I bet you could make up a bunch in advance and have them in the fridge or even freeze them.  Yay for easy!


2 comments:

  1. Doesn't the biscuit dough have gluten?
    I wonder if there are reasonable options for folks like (apparently) me who have to avoid carbs? Hmm...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it has gluten. I don't eat them. I suppose for someone GF they could make GF dough using a mix (or a recipe if they are more baking-inclined than I) and break off a piece of that and use it. If you aren't eating these types of carbs, then you would just make the egg muffins without the bread like I used to do. It's messy though. I am tempted to try this with lining the muffin tin withe spinach or kale or something like that. If I try it, I'll let you know!

    ReplyDelete