Tuesday, September 6, 2011

This Is What Happens When Your 2 Year-Old Wakes You Up At 5am

You have time to bake. Yes, seriously. Now, I'm not a baker. AT.ALL. In fact, most everything I bake turns out rock hard or explodes in some way. I don't know why, exactly, but I blame it on the altitude. Never mind that thousands of people bake at high altitude with no problem every day. I am simply not one of those people.  I do, however, like to APPEAR like I can bake so some times I call it in. Today was one of those days. So, after you oooh and aaah over my baked creation for the boys' lunches, I'll tell you how I did it.

Pepperoni pizza roll ups, black olives, cheese stick, julienned carrots, Asian pear and blueberries,  and fruit nuggets as a treat. The little container has a little more pizza sauce for dipping.


Mmm mmm....that homemade pizza goodness...doesn't it look tasty? Frankly, I wouldn't know, it's not gluten free (yes, I sent my kids to school with untested/untasted food don't judge me), but it sure LOOKS tasty.  I used Pilsbury pizza dough in those tubes that pop open when you start to peel them. Ok, side note; does it freak anybody else out when it does that, or is it just me? I also have a problem with champagne corks and refuse to open anything like that. So, this dough...yeah...roll that baby out. It's stickier than my kid's hair after an ice cream cone so be sure to use lots of flour on the counter and on the rolling pin. Squeeze some pizza sauce on it, not as much as you would a normal pizza because then it's too goopy, sprinkle a little cheese and any toppings you want. I discovered mini pepperoni. No joke...little disks of nitrates! Roll up that bad boy so it's a log and slice it up; I think the smaller slices 1/2"-3/4" worked better than the bigger ones. Bake at 425 until mostly done; maybe 10 minutes, and then take them out, add a little spot of sauce, sprinkle of cheese and a couple nitrate disks and put back in to finish it off. 

I don't have exact measurements or times because that's just not how I (pizza) roll. 

No comments:

Post a Comment